THRIVE is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer for its growing Product Development practice in Atlanta, Georgia. We are looking for a passionate, highly-creative, strategic thinker who has demonstrated experience developing innovative new products in the real world. The ideal candidate will be able to work in cross-functional teams, balance work on multiple projects, and manage to deadlines. The position will report directly to the Director of Engineering.
Why should you join us?
(1) YOU’LL BE CHALLENGED.
Every organization talks about development and evolving your career, but here, it’s part of the job description. You’re going to show us what you’re great at, and we’re going to help you break into all the other things you’ve always wanted to do, from Design to Strategy to Branding and on and on. If you’re insatiably curious and ready to give your career all you’ve got by stepping beyond the title on your business card, we’d love to chat.
(2) YOU’LL HELP SOLVE THE RIGHT PROBLEMS.
Our clients come to us because they have a problem. And boy, do we love a challenge, so we attack each and everyone with incredible rigor, discipline, and a quality-or-die attitude. Work with THRIVE and you’ll get a chance to make a real difference for businesses and people through the products and services they interact with every day.
(3) YOU’LL WORK WITH PEOPLE AS PASSIONATE (I.E. CRAZY-DEDICATED) AS YOU ARE.
There’s no shame in being mega-enthusiastic about what you do, especially if that’s code for entrepreneurial. If this sounds like you, you’re going to fit in just fine around here. Here’s the thing: We’re growing. Fast. And if your idea of a good time is being a part of something big, then this is the place—and the team—for you.
- Lead new product development projects from concept though production launch.
- Collaborate with internal and external (client’s) cross-functional teams (Marketing, Channel, Consumer Insights, ID, Design Engineering, Test Engineering, and others) to research and understand consumer and customer wants/needs, benchmark competitive products, and develop innovative products that are cost effective and meet those wants/needs.
- Evaluate product concepts, designs, and drawings for mechanical function (e.g., fit, function, interference, stacking, nesting, etc.), manufacturability, packaging and material handling. Work with designers, process engineers, materials engineers, tool engineers, etc. to review and optimize.
- Work with Design Engineering to have product prototypes created and perform product testing for internal evaluation as well as for customer and consumer testing/feedback.
- Create and update product and quality specifications, test plans, sample plans, trial logs, timelines, project trackers, and other key documents.
- Develop and optimize product costs to maximize value and competitiveness.
- Ensure new products function properly and meet specifications, cost targets, and timing plans.
- Work on special projects as assigned such as competitive analysis and productivity projects.
- Travel as needed domestically and internationally (typically 10-20% of time).
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering or Electro-Mechanical Engineering preferred).
- 4+ years of product engineering / project engineering experience.
- 3+ years of plastics injection-molding experience.
- 4+ years of design engineering experience using CAD (Solidworks preferred).
- 2+ years of consumer products experience.
- Proven track record of leading and executing projects for durable consumer goods (on-time, on-cost, on-budget, on-specification).
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
- Experience with intellectual property and the patent process.
- Effective planning/organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities.
- Evidence of taking initiative and/or leading projects.
- History of working independently and as a member of a team.
- Experience indicating strong project management skills.
- Proven record of strong creativity and a sense of passion for product design.
- Proficient computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook, Project, PowerPoint).
PLEASE NOTE: This position is onsite in Atlanta, GA at THRIVE’s studio. It is not a remote position. No remote applications will be considered.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and portfolio samples. Please limit submissions to 10MB. Submissions without a portfolio will not be considered. Portfolio samples must contain examples of your sketching and problem solving.
No calls please. All International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.
THRIVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At THRIVE, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! We believe difference and inclusion are critical to creating an innovative environment capable of delivering groundbreaking products, services, and experiences. All aspects of employment at THRIVE, including hiring, promoting, and disciplinary issues, are based on competence and the needs of the business. We celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.